Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sprint triathlon goes horribly wrong

Of the races that I had put on my schedule this year, this race was the one I was really looking forward to this one. Its a sprint distance of .5 mile / 12 mile / 3 mile. Due to the town its held at, Barrington, RI.. the competition is actually really, really good. One of the local teams, Fuel Belt, races this as the owner and most of its members are local area residents. Note that one of the guys on the team is Todd Kenyon of TTBikeFit.com who did my tri fitting. They have a few 9 and 10 hour ironmen (and women) on the team.

I had a goal coming in of breaking 70 minutes provided the course was the same. My time last year at the event was 74 minutes breaking down to 10:49-1:47-34:10-1:17-25:55.

This year I had more races under my belt, more training, and supposedly faster equipment... so 4 minutes is nothing right??? Right!!!

I got the race site and registered, finding that the race number had grown to something around 300 entries. 300 entries, 3 waves... going to be a crowded swim start. I find my transition area and thing are a little depressing. I got stuck on one of the very inside slots meaning I had to run all the way down the row of bikes, grab mine, and run all the way back out, then head to the exit. Not a bike deal, but probably another 10-20 seconds of transition time. It would be great if the organizers put the racks in the middle and had an option to go around one side or the other.

So on to the race. I warmed up on the bike first. Actually felt really good. Maybe its the new pointy helmet! Warmed up in the water and felt awful. It was a little choppy, not much, but still enough to make a difference. I knew that I wasn't going to have a great swim.

The swim was as expected. The first buoy was about 35 yards from shore so it was an all out sprint. I placed myself better this time and had an easier time of managing the crowd. I knew based on the registration list that there would be some faster swimmers than myself (especially with no wetsuit). I saw the lead group get out in front of me and I just didn't want (and couldn't) keep up with them. I just don't have the speed anymore. Right now I'm about 5-10 seconds per hundred meters slower than the "really" fast swimmers. My overall time for the swim was 10:31, 18 seconds faster than last year in rougher water and a course which I felt was not strait. Not bad, but I'll have to go back and look at the results. My cheering section said I entered the first transition in 7th place. Considering 2 people passed me on the beach run (time included in the swim) not bad.

The first transition I tried the old saying "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". I had been practicing the day before.... so I expected a descent time. Ended up finding my bike, rinsing feet, slipping on shoes, through on my helmet, and running out in 1:05! A full 42 seconds quicker. I'm already ahead of last year's time after the event I expected the least gain from by a full minute.

As I headed out on the bike, I spun for the first mile or so as it was slightly uphill. I had a few people within sight of me and considering my placing on the swim, I thought it would be great if I could "hang" with some of these riders. Now maybe some were relay teams, I don't know. But in that first mile of me spinning, I passed two people. Here is were all of the good this go bad.....

You know that instant in time where you make a split decision and are either rewarded greatly or suffer dire consequences. This could be in anything... from driving a car to sporting events. Well I had one of those moments:

As I passed the second person and continued increasing my rhythm, I hear the familiar sound of a riding coming up next to me. As he does, I head to the right to not block. As I do I take a quick glance over to see who it was. It wasn't even a head turn, just an eye shift. Well that's all it took. BAD DECISION! In the blink of an eye, I feel my whole front end drop like a rock. I can't control it: 1) because I'm in the aero bars 2) because I wasn't looking forward 3) because I had caught the side of a sewer manhole cover. If the manhole road gradient would have been sloped, I would have been fine. Because I was moving right, I effectively turned right into it, causing my front tire to effectively drop off the side of the road. Next thing I know I'm hurdling through the air at over 20 mph! As I now laid on the road, I wonder what the heck just happened. I take a look and everything is in one piece. Then I start feeling the burning. Ahh, lots of road rash. Somehow, I managed to walk away from it.

So here is my decision, call it a day and end the race right there... or finish the 10 mile bike and 3 mile run? I'm not injured, the bike looked like it still worked... I'm finishing! While I was laying on the ground, a mechanic pulled up from the race organizers and asked if I was alright. He gave my bike a quick check, then before he handed it to me, he started with the medical questioning. Good call on his part. My helmet (which was basically brand new) didn't even have a scratch. He checked this, I didn't. So he finally cleared me and off I went.

So I went from trying to race to trying to finish. I spent the next 8 miles just kind of working some kinks out waiting for my body to tighten in one place or another. Well it did. My lower leg between my calf and ankle. Must have injured it (tear or bruise) in the crash because that part of my leg was in the front triangle of my bike. It tightened... and tightened... but gosh darn it, I'm finishing.

I finished the bike cruising along ending with a whopping time of 46 minutes! A full 12 minutes slower than last year. Oh well. Into the transition I went. No reason to hurry. From off the bike I knew I was going to have problems. My leg was real sore. I struggled to walk to my area. It's all your head... push through it. I casually switched shoes. and took off jogging.

I tried to use the 3 mile run to focus on running form. I tried to focus on forefoot running vs heel striking. Focus on form was what I kept telling myself. I didn't really push the pace because 1) I was injured and didn't want it to get worse and 2) no real need to as beating my time was no longer possible. I ended up being a rabbit for a few other people out attempting their own personal bests. For the first time in a race, I did not get passed on a run! It wasn't because I was blazing out there either. My run split was 23 minutes! A full 2 minutes faster than last year. Could have been that I was fresher, could have been more training... I don't know, but I like it! Still not fast, but a 2 minute improvement over 1 year on the same course in 3 miles is excellent.!

I came around the corner and the clock read 1:24 and change. Disappointing time... yes. Disappointing finish... absolutely not!

When I look back on this race, sure I'll be upset. But I will always have with me the fact that I pushed myself mentally over the hump to finish the race when battered and bruised. So in the next race I do when hitting that wall, I'll have something mentally to push me over that hump...

4 comments:

Judith said...

Not sure whether I think that finishing the tri after a nasty crash is a good thing or a bad thing.....but it is fantastic that you have some real positives from training..fatser run and your transtiions sound nice and relaxed and your bike ide sounded like it was going to be fast....I never look around on the bike on the bars as you cannot change what happens behind you (and I am basically scared sh**less of doing what you did....).....thanks for the reminder on how easy it is to fall off the bike when on the bars...great tri and next year you will be flying!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...

Congratulations on finishing! I hope you are healing quickly.

(sorry about the mistake above, I was logged in wrong)

Groover said...

I'm impressed. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to continue after a crash! Now I hope that your road rash is healing up quickly and that you didn't do any further damage.