Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Start of the season indoor ITT

Now that my knee seems to feel good and I've managed some good paces on weekend group rides, I felt as if it was a good time to do a start of the season ITT. Doing the test indoors on the computrainer gives a good indication of fitness and power eliminating effects from the bike aerodynamics and outdoor elements. On the trainer I chose the Computrainer 10 mile TT course. I believe it is one of the default courses that RacermateInc uses in its 20% performance increase money back guarantee. The course is basically a rolling course with not greater than 3% gradients.
  • Avg Speed - 21.0 mph
  • Max Speed - 23.7 mph
  • Avg Power - 210 watts
  • Peak Power - 385 watts
That is my starting point. Unfortunately, I didn't attach either the cadence sensor or the heartrate monitor so I'm missing a few numbers. If the guarantee is accurate, my power should increase 20-30% and a speed increase of 2 mph by using the trainer a minimum of 3 times per week at a minimum of 1 hour each session. You also have to do a ITT once every 4 weeks to determine progress. The next one will be scheduled for June 9th!!

2 comments:

Dr. LAG said...

Nice start! Are you spending the time to get an accurate calibration ahead of time? If so, what number are you using? This is an important step.

ribuck97 said...

Well... I never shut it off. Last time I did it, it was something like 1.72. Did it this time and it was 2.06. Not to sure whether its the software that saves it or the standalone unit. Guess it must be the standalone.