Sunday, February 28, 2010

Analysis of power numbers

From the 20 minute power test done yesterday, my final number was an average power of 209 watts. As I've stated, this can be used to calcuate an FTP. I'm using a multiplier of 0.92 for mine. This gives this test an FTP of 192. This number is then used to set training zones as follows:
  • Zone 1. AR – Active Recovery. Less than 56% of FTP.
  • Zone 2. E – Endurance. 56-75% of FTP. Used for aerobic endurance training. The intensity at which an Ironman Triathlon is typically raced.
  • Zone 3. TE – Tempo. 76-90% of FTP. A moderately hard effort. Equivalent to half iron racing intensity and also to riding in a fast moving pack in a road race.
  • Zone 4. TH – Threshold. 91-105% of FTP. A hard effort sustainable for roughly an hour. At 100% of FTP you are riding at CP60 – the critical power you could maintain for 60 minutes. This is the intensity at which you begin to redline.
  • Zone 5. VM – VO2max. 106-120% of FTP. The upper end of this zone is sustainable for about 6 minutes depending on how anaerobically fit you are. This intensity often determines the outcomes of bike road races on hills, when there are breakaways, and in cross winds.
  • Zone 6. AC – Anaerobic Capacity. Greater than 120% of FTP. Again, this intensity is common in road racing, but is never a factor in non-drafting triathlons.
This puts my zones at the following levels:

Zone 1: <107
Zone 2: 108 - 144
Zone 3: 145 - 173
Zone 4: 174 - 202
Zone 5: 203 - 230
Zone 6: 231+

Now I have to do a little planning and come up with a detailed training plan. Right now, I'm in the base training phase where the majority of the rides are spent in zones 1 and 2. Based on memory, I'd say most of my rides lately have correctly fallen into zone 2. I don't think I could bike for 2-3 hours at zone 1 unless it was a recovery day.

No comments: