Saturday, February 27, 2010

First ever power test

Last year, I purchased a Computrainer to help with my offseason training (or lack thereof) to avoid trainer boredom. I honestly can not stand pedaling at the same constant resistance that most if not all air, fluid, and magnetic trainers. The biggest benefit for me that the Computrainer provides is the ability to vary the resistance, ride real courses, and the ability to translate GPS data either from a Garmin or from Google maps into a course to train on. This is the only way I can stand trainers... so much so, I spent 3:45 doing a 65 mile ride this past weekend.

Although this is a nice feature, this is only maybe 30-40% of its benefit. The biggest benefit as far as training goes is the ability to create specific training plans. First: I live in New England, where driving is downright scary... and riding on the road is a nightmare. Second: Doing any type of interval/hill training is almost impossible since there is too much traffic and hills are non-existent. The Computrainer gives you the ability to avoid all of that and carefully plan the training. If you need an hill repeat workout, go to the course creator and program in the segment lengths and grade you want... A tempo session, set your wattage based on your FTP... Intervals, use erg mode and set the time of each segment. The final usage is that it allows the rider to track progress through a series of periodic tests that eliminate variables such as wind and most weather. It doesn't take all variables out because heat/humidity play a large role in the human physiology and without constant air conditioning, this just isn't going to happen.

So today I started down my path of "real" cycling training and did my first power test of any kind. The test I did was a 20 minute power (MP) test. This test is effectively a 20 minute time trial on a flat course. The goal of this test is to maintain the maximum amount of constant speed/power that the rider is able to. The final output can then be used as an estimation of your Functional Threshold Power (FTP) or the power that a rider can output for 1 hour. The estimation is done by multiplying the 20MP results by .92 - .96. For my non-profession self, I'll use the low number. As long as you use the same number all the time, I don't think it matters. In the end, it only matters when comparing FTP against other riders... and well, unless you are on the same course at the same time, it doesn't matter. The calculated FTP can then be used to set your training zones for your tempo, interval, and active recovery rides.

I hopped on the trainer and gave it a whirl. Here are my results for the beginning of the season:


Not bad results... but not great either. Considering I did a 55 mile portion of a half ironman in 2:43 and then ran a 2 hour half marathon at the end of last year. Basically I've got a long way to go!! Two things I did wrong: didn't wear my heart-rate strap and had a tough day of snow boarding the day before. There is probably more information in there that I can't see, but what I like the best is the straight lines... constant speed, power, and cadence.

Now all I have to look forward to tomorrow is a 4 hour spin class to benefit cancer research taught by a girl that works for me. I can't believe I signed up to let her yell at me for an hour!

1 comment:

Dr. LAG said...

nice summary. once you really get back into it, you should just go for the gusto and do the full 1 hr. power test! I disagree with your assertion that it doesn't really matter whether you choose 0.92 or 0.96. Don't forget that all of your power zones are based off of this one magic number. Although you are certainly de-trained, we both know that you have much higher than average innate endurance capabilities. Just don't want you short changing yourself by sticking to power numbers that are lower than optimal!