Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tri-Bike Fitting at TTBikeFit

As a result of my recent knee injuries, I decided to spend some money and get a proper bike and cleat fit by someone who knows what he is doing. After looking at two places, I decided to visit Todd Kenyon. at:

http://www.ttbikefit.com/

Todd is a triathlete, a much better one than myself. His wife is a really good age grouper who has set bike split records. Todd fits some of the worlds greatest triathletes. He does everything through cameras and video analysis while you are on a computrainer.

Results:

After spending over 2 and a half hours, I had my seat actually raised a bit. I got a recommendation that I need new aerobars as the one I have are two short. Overall, he liked my actual position on the bike.

The biggest time spent was on the video analysis of my pedalling. At first, Todd was perplexed as he had never seen anything like what was happening to me. Basically, I don't stand knocked kneed, but as I pedal, at the top of the pedal stroke, my feet go out while my knees are in close to the frame. On the down stroke, the force causes most of the pressure on the outside of the foot and follows with ankle roll. This is apparent during climbing. To fix this, he added reverse shims underneath my cleat to tilt my foot. This put even pressure on my whole foot and aligned my hip, knee, ankle, and foot to my natural position.

I also had a chance to try out a ISM Adamo saddle. While not the prettiest thing, it attempts to eliminate hot spots in the appropriate areas if you know what I mean. I had a fizik saddle that everyone seems to recommend... but it just didn't work for me.

The final thing he did was measure me and provide me with a recommendation for a "dream" bike. He provides measurements in stack and reach. I have a freakishly long torso, so I need a long and low bike. The Cervelo I have fits into that category, but it is still too small. He recommended a 51 stack and a 43+ reach. This is the one I liked the best:

No comments: