Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Missed my trainer while on travel

Believe it or not, I actually missed riding on the trainer while I was away on travel for work. Taking the trainer to the next level, I found out that you can create your own course files based off of GPS data files. Luckily, Sarah has had that nice Garmin Edge 305 for awhile recording some of our favorite routes (I got the Garmin Forerunner 305 at the end of last year). So I converted a local 26 mile ride that we do that travels down most of the southern Rhode Island coastline.

Amazingly, the ride felt very accurate as far as elevation changes goes. They were spots where the grade just seemed to randomly jump by 2-3%. So unlike the road, there is no slow increase. There is probably a setting in the program to smooth the elevation changes. It will just take some playing.

Ride Results:

Distance: 22 miles
Avg mph: 20.2

Thats about all the stats. My heartrate strap wasn't being picked up and the report didn't get saved. Oh well. Still things to learn.

One very bright spot: the weather outlook for the weekend! It is supposed to be hitting 60s so the plan is to do 2 outdoor rides! Both will be group rides, so still haven't broken out the tri bike.

No comments: