Sunday, February 1, 2009

2009 gets off to a horrible start

Well, not much to say really... I had all of these grandious plans to have a good training base built up this year... but due to my laziness at the end of 2008 I had basically lost everything.

So then on Jan 2nd, I tweak a knee that I had arthroscopic on in 2001. Then, on Jan 19th, I wake up to a dislocated shoulder. As I write this, its now one month and my knee is starting to feel stable again however the shoulder is still sore.

Now on to a better things... For the first time in a long time, we have a fully functioning treadmill. Perfect since the new england weather has left us with snow/ice for 3/4 of January. We ended up buying a model from a US manufacturer. The model can be found here:

http://www.truefitness.com/products/residential/product.aspx?seriesID=29&productID=8

After installing it and getting the unit up and running, I've taken it for two 2 mile runs and have come to the conclusion that if you need a treadmill to run on, you are going to have to spend money. The wife has used it twice as well. She is more into the programs that the unit provides. There are something like 4 programs and 2 (or 3) user defined ones plus two heart rate controlled ones. The 4 programs also have 9 levels. She tried level 5 which put her walking at 8% incline at 4.2 mph!! Lets just say she was a bit sore the next day.

I have also attemted to stay on the bike through the use of a trainer. Normally I'll find a sporting event and try to last the duration of the event. This just hasn't been happening. It hasn't been until I convinced one of my riding friends to join me at a local bike shop (Village Bicycle in Westport Ma) for one of there indoor multirider Computrainer sessions. I've been to two of these.

So now I'm relatively healthy and am excited about training again. I'm going to borrow a page from a friend and start tracking my workouts. I wish I had done this while I was swimming. Time to start posting about my training plan.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Glad you've started up the blog again!

Glenn_in_MA said...

Oh man can I relate to winter season laziness and losing shape! I just posted on my blog about my dire need for a transition training plan just to ensure that I can stick to my cycling plans come March/April.

Tracking my rides has served me very well over the years. Good luck with your training.

BTW, found my way here via Sarah's blog.

ribuck97 said...

I recognize the ID from reading Sarah's blog. She has to teach me some of her blogging skills... as I'm just not up to par. Kind of like my cycling compared to hers now!!!