Friday, February 13, 2009

Depressing news..

I had my follow up appointment with my ortho this morning to go over my MRI. I sit down and the doctor opens up the conversation with "Well, the MRI was interesting". Not a very good way to start off.

Bottom Line: Fractured kneecap

As she explains, I guess what happened is that my kneecap didn't grow properly when I was younger so I'm one of the less than 5% of the general population that suffers from what is known as "Bipartite Patella". In everyday terms, my kneecap is made up of two pieces and is joined by a fiberous/cartilege type tissue. When I knelt down, it must have been at just the right angle and force that I put too much pressure on it and fractured it off. However it happened, it just sucks.

My directions are a minimum of 4 weeks rest, no biking, no running, no snowboarding, nothing but walking to get where I need to go. And attempt to limit the amount of knee bend, meaning sit with my leg extended.

Now on to my season... I'm going to cancel my first two races. The one in June was is too early and I would never build up enough endurance for a 13 mile run by July. So I'm going to keep the other two planned and see what happens.

Talk about a depressing morning!

2 comments:

sarah said...

Aaarrgghh!! That is so disappointing! Well, do the best you can to heal quickly...are there supplements that might help? Extra calcium? I can't wait for you to be back on the bike.

Glenn_in_MA said...

hang in...and heal well and fast