Friday, March 13, 2009

Rehab rides begin!!!!

So after four weeks of doing nothing at all activity wise, I started my recovery rides to try and test out the knee. I've been relatively pain free for the last week and half, so I'd figure I would give it a go.

I also had to test out my new toy!! I thoroughly enjoyed the indoor rides on the Computrainer so much and after hearing so many good things about it from Sarah I decided I would look to get one. I came across a deal I couldn't pass up and purchased a used one! Who said anything about not spending money on cycling gear when you can't bike. Actually, when it comes down to it, the use of the Computrainer might actually be better for my recovery because I can control the resistance of the unit versus the KK Road Machine where it is a fairly static resistance. I unfortunately can't do a full writeup on it yet because I only have it working from the handlebar unit. Hey whatever... It works! So back to the rehab.

Everyone always talks about the show "Lost" and I've never seen an episode. So I borrowed some discs and have decided to watch the episodes during my recovery. Each one will give me about 40 minutes on the trainer. I think its a perfect amount of spin time. So on when the shorts and shoes and in went the disc. I had a very pleasant time! I think I was so happy to be pedaling again. And "Lost" is actually quite intriguing. Before I knew it, the episode was over and my ride was done.

So with little resistance in the 45 minutes I probable went about 8-10 miles. Not very fast and not very far. But that's not my goal. It is all about rehab. So we'll see how I feel tomorrow. If I feel good after the short ride and the standing all day (St Patty's day parade in Newport, RI) I'll give it another shot....

1 comment:

sarah said...

This is happy news! Can't wait to ride with you again, but stick to your rehab plan!