Thursday, March 19, 2009

First week back in the Saddle

I've just completed my first full week back in the saddle. I'm still doing my spinning. Trying to keep my cadence in the 95 range. So far its ben fairly easy pedaling. I've been using the Computrainer in standalone mode up until tonight, meaning I didn't have it hooked up to my computer and I was using the handlebar unit. So I'll start there.

The standalone mode of the Computrainer offers 2 modes: Ergometer and General Exercise. The Ergometer mode allows the user to control the load of the trainer in 5 watt increments. Once you set the watts, the trainer will consistently generate that load, so as you go faster, the resistance actually gets easier. The Ergometer mode is also very useful for doing power threshold testing. The General Exercise mode allows the selection of 50 preset programs based on just varying loads to varying mileage and loads. I used both modes.

The standalone mode was nice... but today I got a nice delivery. The missing stereo to serial conversion adapter. Popped the cable in, plugged in the adapter, and enabled the serial port and waited for all the glory that is the Computrainer 3D software. Started the software, created a profile, and then performed a COMM port check... Everything all set and connected properly. So now all I had to do was find a course. Hmmm, where should I start: right at the top at a Tour de France stage or Ironman World Championships? Nah, I think I'll go for a stroll around Central Park. Loaded up the profile and started the race. I didn't feel like watching the static biker so off went the trainer software and on went another episode of "Lost". Ok, I'm getting hooked on the show. 30 minutes later and I'm going up this never ending hill. I keep pedalling while watching. For 10 straight minutes I pedaled up this hill. Its Central Park for crying out loud. Well, what I hadn't noticed was that the handlebar unit said "Pause" and that I had reached the end of the course. Well the finish is a slight incline. So there was my hill. Kind of funny when you think about it.

I'm really looking forward to training with the thing. I hope it helps me improve my ITT times this summer. Wait, what am I saying... I just hope I can keep up with Sarah!

No comments: