Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ride of the day

Still sticking to the trainer. Too afraid of hitting small hills outside and putting unwanted pressure on the knee. I'm trying to slowly build my strength back in my legs. So I loaded up the 10 mile course Ten_Mile_Beginner.3dc and off I went. The course has a max elevation grade of 5%, a min elevation grade of -6%, and an overall grade of -1%. Still trying to maintain 95 cadence.

I also had my first opportunity to evaluate my spin scan. Spin Scan is a software evaluation of you pedal stroke and your muscle groups efficiency. My numbers showed that my left leg was favored more providing around 51-52% of the power. Not terribly bad however it might be something I mention when I go for my bike fitting. Then there is the actual spin scan value. Mine was normally in the 65-70 range. I could get it up into the 75-80 range if I tried, but it just didn't feel comfortable. Maybe its lack of use of my hamstrings, maybe its just the fact that a tri bike puts a rider more forward forcing the use of different muscle groups, I don't know. Either way its something to work on.

Overall I ended the ride with the following numbers:
  • Distance: 10 miles
  • Avg Speed: 17.5mph
  • Avg Cadence: 94rpm
  • Avg heartrate: 152hpm
  • Avg Power: ???
The numbers are kind of skewed because half way through I had to take a phone call and forgot to pause the system. I probably would have put an average of around 19mph otherwise. Its a really easy course. The 5% elevation gain was a little difficult, but it caused no pain in the knee.

Overall, I think I probably put in maybe 50-60 miles this week. I need to start keeping track of my miles better like Sarah does!

No comments: